This instructional course is for people who want to look over the full range of skills required for summer walking and is suitable for both people with little experience or already experienced hill walkers. Navigation will be a big part of the course but we will also look over many other skills and factors to be considered.
Some of the skills we often cover on this course are;
- clothing and equipment selection
- group management
- emergency rope-work
- emergency evacuation and shelters
- stretchers and carrying techniques
- map selection
- compass use
- taking bearings
- pacing distance
- timing distance
- contour interpretation
- judgment when route finding
- environmental knowledge and history
- weather effects and forecasts
We tend to run the majority of our hill skills courses in the Lake District, a brilliant venue for this type of course. We can run this course in other locations on request though, please Contact Us to discuss.
Additional skills possible;
- night navigation. Navigation by head torch. This can be an additional 2-3 hours out on the mountain at a small extra cost (£20 per person) and is best run outside the Summer months when it is darker earlier.
All technical equipment can be supplied at no extra charge.
1:1 – £160
1:2 – £170
1:3 – £180
1:4 – £190
1:5 – £200
1:6 – £210
Note – We run Hill Skills courses at a 1:6 instructor client ratio max. We can supply additional instructors for larger groups wanting Hill Skills or you can look at Group Programmes for group activities which can include guided walks for groups.