Norway 2016 – Ice Climbing
Location – Rjukan, Norway
Duration – 7 days, 5 climbing days
Dates – Saturday 16th January 2016 (Depart UK), return 22nd January.
Guided ratio – 1:2
Cost – £1300 (please note – this price is based on 2 bookings, the course can run with less but prices may vary)
What is included – Quick View
|Guided/Instructed days out|
|Airport Transfers (Oslo Airport to Rjukan return)|
|Flights to Norway|
About the Course
With quick access to a full range of world class ice climbs of all grades we intend to spend as much time on the ice as possible. The course will be run at a 1:2 Instructor to Client ratio, this allows us to set our sites on the classic climbs of the area and offer instruction to you in all aspects of ice climbing. This may include route choice and reading the condition of the ice, safety considerations when climbing ice, efficient use of axes and crampons, placing gear on ice and retreating off ice routes, movement and technique coaching on the ice, and lead climbing on ice. We will aim to do all this whilst climbing some of the classics of the valley such as the routes of the Kroken Gorge or perhaps the much sought after Rjukanfossen.
Rjukan is an ice climbing mecca with some of the best ice climbs in the world located within close proximity. The area is famous also for the epic story of the ‘Heroes of Telemark’ that took place there during the war when a heavy water processing plant was destroyed. The climbs offer short routes for beginners, long classic routes, and some of the most challenging routes in the world! So there is truly something for everyone. Ice climbing in Rjukan allows a lot of time spent on the ice, the walk ins are short, and in some cases the routes are road side, so maximum time spent on the ice is guaranteed. There is a good guide book for the valley called ‘Heavy Water’ if you want to get an idea for what is on offer.
What we cover
Included in the price we will cover all the following.
- Qualified Instructors working with you at a 1:2 ratio max whilst climbing.
- Transport from Oslo Airport return (240 km each way) and daily whilst in the country.
- Comfortable private accommodation with shared rooms. (see rjukan-hytteby.no apartments for the intended accommodation, there is a cafe restaurant and other amenities on site)
- Gear and ropes supplied, some personal equipment may be hired also at a small cost. We will be able to supply some items within the price.
- Food is covered within the price. All food will be supplied at the self catering cabin we will use, we will organise the cooking unless anyone is keen to cook their specialty dish one night! There are good options for eating out in Rjukan also but this would not be included in the price.
Whats not Covered
- Flights to Oslo (we will try and coordinate though to be on the same flight)
- Insurance. We suggest you have your own insurance cover for the trip that covers ice climbing.
- As previously mentioned we can supply some personal kit for you (axes, crampons, helmets, harnesses…) at no extra cost if you do not have it. Some items you may need to hire and this can be organised by us to order. (ie. suitable boots…) see Kit List in our Resources.
If you wish to book on this course please confirm this, with 2 confirmations we will then take payments. Flight details will be sent out for the flight to book on to, and we will book and arrange everything else.
If you have any questions or require more information about this course then please Contact Us.